Healthy Schools in Action
Teachers can help create a healthy school environment by reinforcing messages that are taught in the classroom. When children choose healthy foods and beverages at school, they are also building a foundation for a healthy lifestyle. The following topics provide tips and ideas to guide their choices throughout the day.
- Provide non-food rewards to your students for good behavior.
- Encourage the school parent teacher organization to plan fundraisers that promote healthy foods and physical activity.
- Incorporate healthy foods into your classroom celebrations.
- When having food in the classroom, ask parents to provide healthy foods like fruits and vegetables.
- Promote drinking water throughout the school day.
- Link classroom nutrition education to foods that students are eating in the cafeteria.